Yehiam Fortress is located in Kibbutz Yehiam, in the western part of the Galilee. When the kibbutz was settled in 1946, its original residents lived in the fortress ruins. The massive walls protected them when they were under siege during the 1948 War of Independence. These defense positions have since been restored and are now on view.
No one knows exactly when the Yehiam Fortress was built, but apparently it was initially part of the of the so-called king`s fortress settlement in Mi`ilya. It was later sold to the Teutonic order, which purchased this area and the nearby Montfort Fortress. In 1265 the royal sultan Baybars captured and destroyed the fortress.
Most of the buildings standing today are from the period of Zahir al-Amr, the Beduin sheik who ruled the Galilee in the 1760`s. Zahir al-Amr built new walls and towers and dug a trench around the fortress. During his time, this area was called Gidin.
Visitors to the Yehiam Fortress National Park are invited to watch a film about the role members of Kibbutz Yehiam played in the War of Independence. The top of the fortress affords a panoramic view of the western Galilee. On occasion cultural events are held at the fortress, including a Renaissance festival during Succot (the Festival of Booths).
Contact Information вапр
Restaurant, Place for barbecue