The Ben Shemen forest was the first one to be planted on lands purchased by Keren Kayemeth Le Israel - Jewish National Fund (KKL-JNF) in 1905.
KKL-JNF did not only purchase the lands over which the Ben Shemen forests were planted, but has also contributed to the establishment of a series of settlements in the area.
The first Jewish settlement in the in the Ben Shemen area covered 100 dunams in the heart of which an olive oil factory was founded. The Hebrew word "Shemen" means oil, and in fact the Ben Shemen forests owe their name to this olive oil factory which was unfortunately destroyed by fire in 1915.
In 1925, KKL-JNF began extensive tree planting in the Ben Shemen area which included the re-planting of the burnt Herzl Forest with pine trees, cypresses, casuarinas and acacias integrated with indigenous vegetation and natural oak, terebinth and carob trees.
In the Sixties, KKL-JNF blazed along the Modi`in riverbed a "patrol road" which was used by the Israel Defense Forces until the Six Day War. A main road to the Modi`in region was also built and the foundations which have enabled the development of tourism in the area were laid. The Modi`in Fire Observation Tower and amphitheater, as well as and numerous recreation areas were established in the Ben Shemen area.
Contact Information вапр
Convenient access, Disabled bathrooms
Place for barbecue