This church is dedicated to the Holy Stefanou, the first of Christians who has accepted martyr`s death.
The church was built in 1930 on the ruins of a Byzantine church. According to the tradition the church were the graves of Stephen, Nakdimon, Gamliel and his son Avivus. Rabbi Gamliel was the teacher of Apostle Paul and sympathetic belonged to Christians.
Rabbi Gamliel agreed to bury Stephen, who scores stones in Jerusalem, on land belonging to him. Over time, Gamliel himself and his son moved to Christianity and bequeathed to bury themselves next to St. Stephan.