The Mount of Olives Convent of the Ascension of Our Lord owes its existence to Archimandrite Antonin (Kapustin) and Igumen Parthenius. Father Antonin bought land on the summit of the Mount of Olives and in 1870 built the church of Ascension with a bell tower 64 meters (approximately 200 feet) in height. Simultaneously, cisterns were dug, gardens planted, quarters for pilgrims erected and excavations started.
In 1924, Metropolitan Anthony interceded before the Jerusalem Patriarchate and the Russian community on the Mount of Olives was officially recognized as a convent.
The Byzantine style main church is dedicated to the feast of Ascension. Frescos were painted by the nuns themselves. There are many beautiful icons and relics of saints. The icon of the Mother of God "She Who is Quick to Hear" is revered as miraculous.
The full daily cycle of services are performed in the main church. The feast day of Ascension is solemnly celebrated and brings many faithful together.
Contact Information вапр