The first Christian church that was built on the top of the Mount of Olives was in 390 A.D. commemorating the Ascension of Jesus. It was destroyed by the Persians in 610 A.D. and later the Crusaders built a three dome octagonal shaped church in 1110, the remains of which stand today.
The last church on the site was captured by the Muslim sultan Saladin when he defeated the Crusaders in 1187. Since Muslims also believe in the Ascension of Jesus, it was converted into a mosque.
An unusual feature of the tiny building is that it contains what has been traditionally regarded as the last impression of Jesus’ right foot on earth before he ascended into heaven.
Although administered by the Islamic Wakf, Christians are permitted once a year to hold liturgical services during the feast of the Ascension of Our Lord at the site.