This is the most magnificent of the ancient synagogues in Tzfat, exceptional for the symbols artistically drawn on its domed ceiling, borne by four wide pillars.
It is named after the Sephardic sage, R’ Yitzchak Abuhav, who lived in Spain during the fifteenth century, and his students, among them R’ Yaakov Beirav, emigrated to Tzfat. Preserved in one of the synagogue’s three sacred arks for the Torah scrolls is his ancient and holy work "Sefer Abuhav", known for its concealed spiritual strengths.
The elders of Tzfat believe that in the merit in his tremendous holiness, the southern wall of the structure survived the great earthquake of 1837, and the holy arks sustained no damage.
As a means of securing G-d’s blessings for fertility and family purity, many Tzfat residents have been accustomed for many years to holding wedding ceremonies in the synagogue’s courtyard. Recently, there has been construction work to renovate and restore the structure.