Located in the heart of the Jewish Quarter of Tzfat’s Old City, this synagogue is named after Rabbi Yitzchak Luria, considered the greatest of the Tzfat kabbalists from the sixteenth century, and the father of the new kabbalistic teachings that merited the title "the Lurianic kabbala".
In the past, it was assumed that the synagogue was situated outside the ancient Jewish quarter in a place, where the Ari customarily greeted the Shabbos together with his students. According to tradition, it was only after his passing that his disciples built the synagogue on that plot of land.
As with many houses in Tzfat, the entrance to the synagogue points westward, in the direction of the tomb of Rabbi Shimon bar Yochai. The pillar served as a beacon, which was customarily lit on Lag Ba’Omer for the Rashbi’s hilula.
In 1837, the synagogue was seriously damaged by the great earthquake that struck the city of Tzfat. The synagogue was re-dedicated only about twenty years later, as is shown by the inscription of the face of the structure, dated 1857.